Semantic Interfaces (SI) Challenges
- One command – many linguistic variations.
- One command – many parameters.
- Voice interface enables the user to utter many illegal, partial, impossible and unexpected commands.
- “Please schedule a meeting with John in his office next Wednesday at noon time”
- “Record the 4th quarter of all the NBA playoff games of the west coast conference”
- “I changed my mind, want to go to Jerusalem instead, is it possible to get there in 30 minutes?”
SI NLU Platform Offering:
- Natural Language Understanding (NLU) API
- Run-time NLU engine
- Knowledge Base & Ontology Builder/Tester for the subject matter expert (SME Wizard)
SI NLU API
- Implemented as a web service
- The output format is tailored to the application requirements
- Bi-directional – provides actionable feedback
SI Run-Time NLU engine
Analyzes the user input utterances
- Uses a knowledge base defined by a SME
- Outputs a semantic analysis of the input
- Creates a meaningful feedback for the user, if needed.
Knowledge Base & Ontology Builder
- Lets the user define:
- The application’s concepts and terminology world.
- The structure of natural language end-user commands.
- Designed for use by a subject matter expert
- The knowledge base is stored in an industry-standard OWL file
- Interface to external databases